|Best for Advance Users
||Best for Starting Fitness
|Starts atÂ $104.80||Starts at Out of stock|
|Buy Hammer & Chisel on Amazon||Buy P90X3 on Amazon|
While Hammer and Chisel doesnât have the same name recognition as P90X3, the workouts are every bit as intense. There are some key differences between Hammer and Chisel vs P90X3, and both are great options to either take your fitness to the next level, or to get you started down a positive path to weight loss and muscle growth. Below, we break down the two programs and find which one is best for you based on what youâre looking to get out of these intense home workouts.
Key Features: P90X3 vs Hammer and Chisel
Hammer and Chisel doesnât hold back in its workouts, and youâll feel it. While the program is only 60 days long, you get your moneyâs worth through 14 challenging workouts that aim to either build muscle (Hammer) or cut fat (Chisel). Hammer and Chisel requires you to buy some equipment, such as multi-weight dumbbells, a weight bench or stability ball, a resistance band, and a pull up bar. Womenâs dumbbells should weigh anywhere from 5-40 pounds, whereas menâs weight range from 10-75 pounds. Because youâll need a variety of weight, we recommend the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells.
Another thing that is great about Hammer and Chisel is that they go the extra mile when it comes to pairing workouts with proper nutrition. The base package comes with seven color-coded portion control containers and a shaker cup. As you progress through workouts, the Hammer and Chisel nutrition plan adjusts to give you more protein on heavy lifting days, and more carbohydrates on cardio days.
One other component missing from the Hammer and Chisel program is a stretching or yoga component. While there is some warm up and cool down to prevent muscle soreness or cramping, they could use some elements of stretching to maximize the effectiveness and long-term success of their program.
- Hammer and Chisel more tailored nutrition plan
- Both require weights, but Hammer and Chisel requires more equipment
- P90X3 does better job at utilizing stretching and yoga components
- P90X3 30 minutes, whereas Hammer and Chisel lengths vary
Hammer and Chisel comes in at two price points: the Base kit and the Deluxe kit. The Base kit comes with the 14 workouts, color-coded nutrition containers and a shaker, a program and nutrition guide, and your workouts calendar. The base price doesnât contain any equipment like many similar programs that include some kind of resistance band. Users who want a little more from the Hammer and Chisel workouts will opt for the Deluxe kit, which includes everything from the Base kit, plus a second set of nutrition containers and four additional full-body workouts.
The P90X3 Basic Kit comes with 16 workouts, a nutrition plan, workout calendar, and a resistance band. Beginners will be fine only using their body weight and the resistance band, experienced users will want to add some free weights or heavier resistance bands. Some workouts also encourage the use of a pull up bar, which only comes with the Ultimate kit.
Users who will want to push their workouts can also buy the P90X3 Deluxe Kit, which includes two heavier resistance bands, an additional DVD with three advanced workouts, and an energy formula. The ultimate comes in the form of the P90X3 Ultimate Kit, which includes everything from the Deluxe Kit, but adds a pullup bar, some additional equipment, and a mat.
Variety of Exercises
Hammer and Chisel Exercises
The Hammer and Chisel Base kit comes with 14 exercises that are all focused on building a solid core through stability, strength, and power. The program asks that you workout six days per week, with one rest day. The exercises are broken up primarily into two categories.
- Hammer Power
- Chisel Toning and Fat Burning
Both the Power and Toning work together to give you the best total body workout. As mentioned before, all exercises work in conjunction with the nutrition plan to ensure your body is properly fueled for each of the workouts. Below are some examples from each the Hammer Power and Chisel Toning and Fat Burning exercises.
- HAMMER PLYOMETRICS – This workouts features lots of jumping movement that creates explosive power and agility.
- TOTAL BODY HAMMER – Heavy lifting workout that builds maximum muscle and increases strength, power, and muscle development.
- HAMMER POWER – Lots of powerlifting moves meant to increase not only power and strength, but speed and agility as well.
- HAMMER CONDITIONING – Workout utilizing compound movements that focus on stability, but also improve endurance and engage core muscles.
Chisel Toning and Fat Burning
- CHISEL BALANCE – Total body core workouts that aim to improve stability and core strength.
- ISO STRENGTH CHISEL -Resistance workouts that utilize resistance through slow movements and holds.
- CHISEL CARDIO – A calorie-burning workout that uses fast movements and aims to create heart rates spikes for maximum effectiveness.
- CHISEL AGILITY – Cardio-based workouts that again uses fast movements, but with more of a focus on coordination and balance.
The basic and advanced levels help you burn fat and increase your overall strength and stamina. The lean and mass schedules help to either build lean muscle or add tone and shape your physique. The P90X3 system ask that you workout six days per week, with one day for rest and recovery. There are four cornerstone exercise types youâll do with P90X3. Some examples of the workouts are below:
- INCINERATOR – One of the most difficult exercises in the whole program, this upper body workout pushes you to the limit
- TOTAL SYNERGISTICS – Most movements use more than one muscle group to fatigue you and enhance new muscle growth
- AGILITY X – Cardio-blast with quick movements utilizing body weight
- DECELERATOR – Strength and power movements mixed with stabilization great for both balance and agility, as well as connective tissue and joint strengthening
- CVX – Resistance and cardio blended together in a tough, shoulder-focused workout
- MMX – Total fat burning workout using MMA kicks and punches to increase core strength
Core, Flexibility, and Balance
- X3 YOGA – quick movement, basic movement yoga to increase flexibility and balance
- PILATES X – great pilates workout strengthening core, improving flexibility, and aiding proper joint health
Final Verdict: Hammer and Chisel or P90X3
The fact of the matter truly is that Hammer and Chisel vs P90X3 is a battle between two well-designed programs that will both help you lose weight and build muscle. While both ask that you pay a little more for some weights and resistance equipment, you will see better results in the end because of it. We like the fact that Hammer and Chisel has workouts that are a bit longer, which allow you to burn fat longer than the 30 minute cap that P90X3 puts on its workouts.
Hammer and Chisel is just a more entertaining workout than P90X3. Tony Horton does a great job at keeping you motivated throughout the P90X3 routines, but Sagi Kalev and Autumn Calabrese, the two trainers from Hammer and Chisel, get you amped up and excited during the workouts. The movements are more aggressive, which might be better for some than others, but the fact of the matter is that it truly works and the workouts fly by. Hammer and Chisel is one of the very best at home workouts you can buy, and you will definitely feel it working from the first few minutes of the program!
|Â Best for Advance Users||Best for Starting Fitness
|Â Starts atÂ $104.80||Starts at Out of stock|
|Â 14 workouts – times vary||16 workouts – 30 minutes each|
|Â 60 day program||90 day program|
|More Equipment Required|
|Creators: Sagi Kalev and Autumn Calabrese||Creator: Tony Horton|
|Â Buy Hammer & Chisel on Amazon||Buy P90X3 on Amazon|
Learn more about Hammer & Chisel from this video by BeachBody:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.